2020-21 Festival Girls Basketball - Vista Verde MS
Festival Girls Basketball Coach
Location: Vista Verde Middle School
Dates: 2/22/2021 - 4/15/2021
The job of Head Coach is done for the purpose/s of designing and implementing the athletic program for assigned sport(s) in accordance with applicable rules and regulations; providing supervision of other coaching personnel; providing supervision of students during all aspects of the program; using sound instructional techniques in overseeing program activities; serving as a positive role model to student athletes; and serving in a liaison capacity for the school and program with other schools both within and/or outside the district, to the community, and to various organizations. Individuals in this job classification are assigned to a position for assigned sport(s) and oversees all aspects of the respective athletic program(s).
This job reports to Athletic Director
- Assesses student athletes for the purpose of providing feedback to students on their individual performance and/or determining team placement.
- Attends a variety of meetings, workshops, conferences, etc. for the purpose of receiving and conveying information related to their role.
- Conducts a variety of supporting activities (e.g. parent orientations, recognition events, banquets, etc.) for the purpose of providing information regarding the program and/or recognizing participants’ accomplishments.
- Develops team and individual practice regimes for student athletes (e.g. strength, speed, agility, nutritional, injury prevention, etc.) for the purpose of enhancing and improving their performance.
- Develops game strategies/plans (e.g. analyzes opponent strengths and weaknesses, analyzing athlete abilities, creating plays/strategies, etc.) for the purpose of preparing the team and individual student athletes for the competition.
- Guides other coaching personnel as may be appropriate in instructional techniques, organization of practices, supervision guidelines and responsibilities, etc. for the purpose of providing guidance and mentoring.
- Identifies program needs for the purpose of providing recommendations of expenditures for activities, equipment, supplies, etc. that will enhance the assigned athletic program.
- Implements practice schedules and related events (e.g. usage of facilities and equipment, staff assignments, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring efficient program operation.
- Instructs student athletes for the purpose of promoting individual growth in athletic skills, teamwork, and sportsmanship.
- Maintains a variety of records (e.g. game/student athlete statistics, insurance, signed permission forms, emergency information, schedules, equipment inventories, etc.) for the purpose of complying with district, athletic conference, state requirements, and/or report scores and strategies to local news media.
- Monitors student athletes’ academic eligibility for the purpose of both complying with AIA requirements as well as providing appropriate intervention (e.g. counseling, tutoring, etc.) to students identified as needing assistance to maintain their athletic eligibility.
- Oversees assistant coaches, student managers, volunteers, etc. for the purpose of providing direction and monitoring activities.
- Promotes athletic program through a variety of activities (e.g. conducts off-season clinics, information on skill-camps, attends community meetings, etc.) for the purpose of increasing interest and participation.
- Responds to inquiries of students, parents, other school personnel, media representatives, college representatives, etc. for the purpose of providing information, assistance and/or direction.
- Keeps their school athletic director informed when issues arise that impact the school’s athletic program (e.g. liability concerns, parent concerns, etc.).
- Provides appropriate and prudent supervision for all athletes and students involved in the program.
- Explains and discusses the PVUSD Athletic Code of Conduct with all athletes in their program.
- Maintains high standards of personal conduct. Coaches should serve as role models for their athletes.
- Ensures that all coaches involved with their program, whether paid or volunteer are cleared through the PVUSD Human Resources Department.
Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to adapt to changing work priorities; administering first aid; applying pertinent laws, codes, policies, and/or regulations; coordinating activities with other schools, districts and/or agencies; organizing and communicating information and concepts; and overseeing financial transactions.
KNOWLEDGE is required for community support organizations and pubic relations; equipment used in activity/program; injury prevention and appropriate treatment protocols; pertinent laws codes, policies, and/or regulations; participant eligibility, attendance and discipline guidelines; public relations protocols; relevant professional standards and practices; and safety practices and procedures.
ABILITY is required to communicate with persons of varied educational and cultural backgrounds; dealing with frequent interruptions; exhibiting strong leadership; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; modeling sportsmanship and enforcing sportsmanlike behavior among students; motivating participating student athletes; providing a firm, fair, and consistent discipline approach; providing leadership, direction, and team building; traveling to off campus athletic events; traveling to off campus competitions; and working extended hours that may include evenings and/or weekends.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; directing other persons within a small work unit; utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some climbing and balancing, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 40% walking, and 40% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Experience: Job related experience is required.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates and Licences Valid Arizona Teaching Certificate or
Arizona Coaching Certificate or
Have completed Fundamentals of Coaching, First Aid/CPR,Sport Specific course or teaching sport skills if sport is not offered from the National Federation of State High School Associations
Continuing Educ. / Training Clearances
Criminal Background Clearance
IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
Job Contact Information
Friday, May 15, 2020 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)